Saturday 1 October 2011

Paris (Day 1)

It's been pointed out to me by a few people lately that I haven't written my blog for a while... so, in an attempt to catch up, I'm going back to June 9th, where I left a Stake Council meeting in Northampton at 10 o'clock at night, and made my way to Cambridge, to spend a (very short!) night at my friend Rebekah's house. Another of her friends, Katherine, spent the night there too, and early in the morning, the three of us embarked on a little adventure to Paris!
We drove to Ebsfleet Eurostar station, and caught a train to Paris. We made our way to the Hotel Eden in Monmartre, where our rooms where not yet ready, so we stowed our cases, and went off to explore our local area. After taking a while to decide which was North, and which was South, we headed on foot to Sacre Coeur. We were so tired, but incredibly happy to be there - slowly making our way up the steep streets...
Finally at the top!
I love the view from up by the Sacre Coeur out over Paris. I secretly hope to have a flat around here one day...
After suddenly getting caught out in a downpour and sheltering in an old archway, watching gargoyles spewing torrents, we made our way back to the hotel to get into our room and have a rest. Our room was on the 6th floor of a pleasant hotel - Rebekah and Katherine preferred the delights of the winding, uneven staircase, while I risked the teeny 2 person deathbox (lift), with all the cases.
I loved the view from our full length window - felt very Parisian/poor starving artist/poet-type-thing... while we snacked on Rebekah's provisions of Tesco low-fat pretzels, Yeo Valley yogurt tubes and our favourite - the dried mango!
When we had rested, we headed out towards Place de la Concorde, and then wandered up the Champs Elysees in beautiful evening sunshine...bliss! We stopped off in one of the enormous perfume shops, where I had an assistant give me his undivided attention, helping me find a perfume that would be perfect for me... I still have yet to find my perfect perfume... we spent ages, but had fun trying!
We watched sunset at the Arc de Triomphe, then made our way on the Metro back to our hotel.

No comments: