Wednesday 8 January 2014

New Year's Eve 2013

We got relatively unpacked and cleaned up on the 30th, and I was glad because on New Year's Eve, I got some post which I wanted to give some attention to!! One of the craft product designers in America who I know, sent me a bundle of new paper cutters with a retail value of nearly $400, for me to make some cards with, which she wanted a few photographs of for a trade show later in January. In the way that Harry's eyes light up at the sight of new Lego - I am the same with this!
One of the cards I made using a new pop-up bench cutter, and tree cutter:
I couldn't spend too long playing with paper though, as I needed to get things ready for the Stake Youth New Year's Eve activity. I made a huge pot of chilli, plus got some other activities ready. 
We picked up Georgia - Lucy's school friend, and Kirsten, my niece, and got to Northampton for 6pm to open up the building and get decorating the hall and setting things up.
The evening started at 8pm with a meeting in the Chapel, where the worldwide Youth theme for 2014 was introduced - 'Come unto Christ'. Amongst others, Jack and his friend Ethan Collings both spoke on the theme for a couple of minutes each.
We spent the rest of the evening playing on the equipment we had hired, and chatting and eating!
I didn't take any pictures of the evening - these are borrowed from Jo Waters.
Here is Jack on the bouncy castle with some of his best friends: Scott, Joel, Ethan, Xander, Sam and Jonah.
James Marinelli and I on the pugil sticks.
Jack and Joel.
In the morning, to keep the kids out of mischief I had drawn the big 'Happy New Year' poster in the top right-hand corner of this picture, and got the kids to paint it (though I think Lucy ended up doing most of it!)
We had a count-down to midnight and a live feed from The London Eye, let off our party poppers, then did the usual thing of attempting to sing Auld Lang Syne, whilst not really knowing any of the words! It was pretty fun, anyway!
I was last to leave at just after 1am, after finishing cleaning up the building, and I was exhausted. I could feel myself getting ill on the drive home, and wasn't the least bit impressed. I've been ill on and off (mainly on) ever since the end of September, with colds, nausea, headaches etc, and I'm getting fed up of it, and of feeling so run-down and tired out.
I do love this time of year though, and always feel enthusiastic to review my life, and think about new goals and priorities. I've got a list that I'm excited about (and in case you hadn't guessed, getting going with my blog again is on there!)

No comments: