Saturday, 14 September 2013

2nd and 3rd Weeks in France (August 2012)

Sunday 19th August 2012. Such a happy day. I took the boys to church for Sacrament meeting in the morning, and did some reading from George Albert Smith, which I shared with the boys, then lots of reading The Friend with Harry. The boys were so good all day. I had a nap in the afternoon (very bad night's sleep the night before: noisy flies/stressing about mosquitoes/next door's dog barking/what sounded like a rabbit-sized thing running around my bedroom...) anyway, I woke to find Tom and Jack playing Monopoly, and Harry all sweetness and light, and sweeping the house. He said he was going to keep sweeping till he'd done it for an hour - and he did! He was so happy with himself afterwards!
It was just such a lovely afternoon. The kids playing happily and cycling up and down the lane, and me reading on the patio.
This is not much of a picture, but for me it sums up complete contentment. It felt good to take a step back from life, and think about how to not get sucked back into the stress of recent life.

Monday 20th August 2012. Not quite as quiet and peaceful as yesterday! Harry was a bit of a pain to start with - he had had a bad night, and was tired, but the day improved as it went on.
We packed up a picnic for lunch, and went for a bike ride round the 'Billio Eagle field'.
I read on the patio later on, accompanied by George the peacock.
We then went for a walk to the pond in the woods, and fed the fish our stale baguette ends.
We picked blackberries on the way back from the woods, and I made a blackberry and apple tart for pudding. Boys played nicely in the evening, and we found Tom some new books to read - he'd run out which explained some of his being a nuisance today!

Tuesday 21st August 2012. Lovely weather again. Went to Josselin and parked in the cockerel car park, then wandered down to the shops, and bought a 'mad hatter' sticker, and post card for Nanny and Grandad. We did our quickest ever run up the bell tower and down again - it was 25 past the hour, and the boys were scared of the bell ringing at half past, and us still being up there. We then walked down to the river and played with the broken water system model, then listened to the English speaking story narrated electronically next to the wash house. It was a bit embarrassing, as loads of people came by, and stopped. The story is quite long, and they were forced to listen to it in English!
We then sat in the Bois d'Amour for a bit, writing the postcard, then went back down to the shops to get another 'mad hatter' sticker for the fridge! Drove to Super-U, and Harry got more Playmobil, so was very happy.
We spent the afternoon in the garden. I cut the grass verges down the lane, and the boys took the grass away in the wheel barrow, which they carried on playing with.

Wednesday 22nd August 2012. Gorgeous weather again. We went to Auray, with a picnic lunch, and walked down to the dual carriage-way bridge, which we have only ever been over before. Had a lovely time wandering round. The boys enjoyed looking at the boats.
We went up the other side to have lunch, and then up to the top, and up the tower.
Ice creams on the bridge to finish off with! Stopped off at Hyper-U on the way home so that the boys could buy Pez dispensers and sweets. Everyone very happy, though not without the odd telling off in the evening.

Thursday 23rd August 2012. More heavenly weather, so off to the Island beach. We went straight to island and set up camp. The boys just happily climbed on the rocks, played in the sea, and Harry played with his yellow dumper truck, which I made him share with a couple of French kids who were following him around in awe! Swam in the sea - a lovely temperature! Harry did his first ever swimming unaided in the sea!
I read a lot, and had a nice relaxing time, as the island beach is so small it's easy to keep an eye on the kids.
The kids played in the garden all evening.
I went to bed early and read scriptures and conference talks. Felt the stresses and things of the past year receding a bit. I really felt like I have benefited from taking a step back this holiday, and relaxing a bit.
Some visitors to our living room...

Friday 24th August 2012. It rained nearly all day. Got on with washing and drying, vacuumed upstairs, finished some ironing, did some sewing on my hexigon quilt, and planned the rest of our dinners, then took the boys to Super-U to get what we needed for them. It's been lovely having the place to ourselves - very relaxed and like being at home.
Harry was a bit of a pain - he was determined to spend the rest of his holiday money on Playmobil, but there wasn't any at Super-U, so he was desperate to go to Hyper-U (miles away, near Vannes), and kept making a fuss about it. He got told off rather a lot... To be fair though, he must be a bit bored by now - not many toys, no films to watch, indoors all day and too young for most the board games.
Did questionnaires with the boys, for their baby books, made pancakes after tea, and then played Scrabble with Jack and Yahtzee with Tom, once Harry was in bed.

Saturday 25th August 2013. Today we picked up Lucy and Scott from the airport!! It was great seeing them come out the plane and walk across the tarmac! Lucy was so full of EFY - had a wonderful time and made so many new friends!!
Harry being the incredible-wall-climbing-boy...

Sunday 26th August 2012. Church in the morning, and playing out in the sun in the afternoon.
Scott looks so impressed by my quilting!!

Monday 27th August 2012. So glad we had good weather for Scott coming back! We went to the Sarzeau beach, where Lucy and I spent ages swimming in the sea.
Lucy and I.
We then went for our customary walk round Suscinio Chateau...
This first picture is from the internet, and shows really well the beach and the castle.
Lucy discovering lots of seaweed still down her swimming costume!
Inside the dove house, near the castle.
Lucy the vandal.
On the way home we drove through Tredion, where there is another beautiful chateau.

Tuesday 28th August. Mum and Dad, and Ken and Bev arrived! Within no time, my kids are dangling out of windows by ropes!! (And in Harry's case, with odd shoes on?!!)
Yep, another of 'Dad's Toys'... (abseiling gear, probably procured from 'The Cattle Market' in Nottingham... and probably for £4, knowing the standard price of everything there!)
I think this photo is so funny! Lucy, Jack and Tom casually playing with a dog, while in the background, the youngest child is standing on an upstairs window ledge...

Wednesday 29th August 2012. Home to England. We never really want to leave. The bridge at Le Havre, on the long drive back.
Back in England, we ended up driving through London, and it was interesting seeing some of the structures from the Olympics - the presenters' box, and the velodrome.

No comments: